When I think of winter, I think of chocolate! Actually pause, rewind, I think of chocolate all year round but I especially like to indulge in it during the holidays and throughout winter!
Chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate fudge brownies.
The sweet tooth kicks in and all I want is that rich, smooth, cocoa flavoured everything! When we used to live in Toronto I would stop by Greenhouse Juice Co. and order their Rococoa smoothie which was heavenly!
It had “hidden greens” in the recipe that you couldn’t even taste because the chocolatey cocoa powder masked the taste. That Rococoa somewhat inspired this recipe, but I wanted something a little creamier and a little… chocolatey-er 🙂 – packed with superfoods (to make it more nutritionally dense, of course)!
So this cocoa-fudge superfood smoothie recipe has:
- Organic oat milk
- Maca powder (which has a honeycomb/toffee flavour in my opinion)
- Ashwagandha powder
- Organic cocoa powder
- Fresh baby spinach
- And more
It also uses one of my favourite protein powders: the fermented organic vegan protein chocolate flavour by Genuine Health. This added perfectly to that already rich chocolatey flavour and texture!
Use code ‘NICK20’ to get 20% OFF site-wide on Genuine Health’s website!
Make this Cocoa Fudge Superfood Smoothie yourself at home!
- 2.5 frozen bananas (ripe to overripe)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1.5 cups oat milk
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 heaping tbsp cashew butter (peanut or almond butters work well as substitutes)
- 2 tbsp organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ashwagandha powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 2 scoops of Genuine Health fermented organic vegan protein powder – chocolate flavour
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate cocoa nibs (to give it that fudge texture)
- Add all of your ingredients to your blender and blend on medium-high until smooth and creamy.
- Depending on your blender, you might like to add your dry ingredients first before adding your liquids. I use a Vitamix that positions the jug upright (vs. a magic bullet, nutribullet, or similar where you flip the jug upside down), so my preferred order of adding ingredients is as follows:
- Frozen bananas
- Oat milk (until bananas are covered)
- Peanut butter
- (blend lightly)
- (blend lightly)
- All powders
- (blend lightly and add additional water/oat milk as desired)
- Pour and serve!
I topped mine with a few crushed cashews, cocoa powder, organic coconut flakes, and a few cocoa nibs and actual bits of chocolate brownies (drool)!
If you try this recipe out at home, be sure to let me know how you like it either by leaving me a comment below or by tagging me @inspiredbynick on Insta!