GOOD MORNING MY FELLOW FIDDLEHEADS!
Today I’ve got a SUPER EASY Fiddleheads Recipe for you in a NEW SERIES that I’m starting, called Nick’s Vegetable of the Week! Today is a delicious fiddlehead stir fry, with spicy Italian sausages, garlic, onion and a bit of seasoning, all on a bed of rice. Sound simple right? Well, it is, and I’m super excited to be starting my Vegetable of the Week series, so that I can share some of my favourite healthy recipes to help inspire you in the kitchen! My ultimate goal is to share recipes that are 1) healthy and 2) easy to make.
My friends and I work long hours during the week. The last thing we want to do is come home and slave in the kitchen. Weekends are a different story. Pouring time into crafting delicious articulate meals really shines through in the final product. But does that mean we should sacrifice having quality meals during the week if we can’t invest the same amount of time? Certainly not. The trick is finding the right recipes that don’t require hours of preparation but still yield a delicious, flavourful meal. Bonus if it’s healthy and can serve a family of four!
Nick’s Vegetable of the Week: Fiddleheads (or fiddle head greens).
Meal Prep Time: 25 Minutes
The Ingredient List:
- 1 – Package of Raw, Fresh, Organic Fiddleheads
- 1 – Package of 4-6 spicy Italian sausages (Tofu works as a great substitute!)
- 2 – Yellow onions (cut into quarters)
- 1 – Scallion (or green onion) finely chopped
- 1 – Clove of garlic, minced
- Parsley, cumin, chilli flakes and salt for flavouring.
- Step one: chop the brown ends off your fiddleheads and rinse them in a strainer, before adding them to a pot to boil.
NOTE: If you’ve searched how to cook fiddleheads, you’ll have noted that it’s VERY important to boil your fiddleheads for 15 minutes before ingesting them (or doing anything with them at all for that matter.)
- Step two: prepare the other ingredients as shown:
- Yellow onions in quarters,
- Green onion finely chopped,
- Sausages pulled apart lightly into bit-size portions,
- Garlic minced,
- Throw all ingredients (except fiddleheads) into a pan and turn to medium-high heat.
- Step three: cook two cups of white rice.
While your fiddleheads are boiling (for 15 mins), let the other ingredients sauté in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of white wine vinegar. This combo really packs a punch of flavour!
Once the fiddleheads are done boiling, you can add them to the already browned meet and vegetables and sauté until golden brown. Add rice to each plate as a base, and gently scoop a portion size from the stir fry to add on top.
And voila! A super easy fiddleheads recipe
now in your arsenal for weekday meals!
This super easy fiddleheads recipe serves four!
PS. Nick’s Vegetable of the Week Series features all organic ingredients (including the meats), and all recipe meal prep times are less than 30 mins! Plus, the featured vegetable will ALWAYS be seasonal!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Feel free to share some of your tips and tricks on cooking fiddleheads with me in the comments section below! I’m always eager to learn new recipes I can bring to my own kitchen, so please feel free to share!
Nick Joly | Inspired by Nick
Stay True. Stay Humble. Stay Inspired.