Today on Inspired by Nick – I’m spinning Rhubarb into Pie for my Vegetable of the Week Series, and I’ve got a delicious Nutella, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie recipe for all of you!
This was a surprisingly, super simple recipe to make! Which means, it should be a surprisingly super simple recipe for you to follow (if I do my job well)!
I had always wondered how to cook rhubarb since I’d never cooked anything with it before. And one of my favourite desserts to order, had always been a traditional Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie anytime I would visit Rockaberry’s back home in Montreal or whenever I would see it on the menu at a similar dessert house. So when S and I received our weekly delivery of organic produce, and a batch of rhubarb was in the bag, I knew instantly that it was time to whip up a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie of my very own. And to add a little Inspired by Nick twist…
This is a variation of the classic Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie – with Nutella!
Nick’s Vegetable of the Week: Rhubarb
Meal prep time: 10 minutes
Meal cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
The Ingredient List:
- 2 – Cups of Rhubarb cut into bit sized pieces
- 2 – Cups of Strawberries, slices in thirds
- 1 – tender flake pie crust shell, keep chilled
- 1.5 – cups of raw brown sugar
- 2 – tablespoons of tapioca
- 4 – tablespoons of Nutella
- 1/2 – teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 – teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 – teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 – teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 – tablespoons of butter, sliced thinly
- A dash of large granule sugar
- Step one: lay all ingredients down for a photo-opp! JK 🙂
- Step one: mix your sliced strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, 2/4 tablespoons of Nutella, tapioca and vanilla extract into a bowl. Mix lightly for 2 minutes.
- Note: save the other 2/4 tablespoons of Nutella for the final garnishing!
- Step two: using half a teaspoon of your slices of butter, lightly glaze the pie crust shell until no spot is left un-buttered.
- Step three: pour all ingredients from your bowl into your chilled, butter-glazed pie crust and fill evenly so that the top is flat. Next add the rest of your sliced butter across the top, to allow it to soak into your pie filling while cooking.
- Step four: add your dashes of large granule sugar to coat the top, and pop your Nutella, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie into the oven at 425 degree F for the first 20 minutes, and 375 degree F for another 50 minutes.
It’s as simple as that! Let the pie cook until the texture of the rhubarb is soft, the juices are crimson red and the top of the pie is slightly darkened. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before adding your Nutella and powdered sugar to the top for garnishing, and you’ll have yourself your very own Nutella, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie to serve!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s simple and easy to make. I’ve tried making my own pie crusts and shells before, and trust me, it’s messy and tough. Tenderflake has really perfected the art of pie crust making, so I trust them when it comes to baking my own pies. The texture is always just right!
Nick Joly | Inspired by Nick
Stay True. Stay Humble. Stay Inspired.