Ah. The chocolate chip cookie.
Is there anything that reminds you of childhood more than dunking a chocolate chip cookie in a glass of milk?
This is a recipe I’d been wanting to share with you for a while.
I really took my time to perfect this recipe for you. And if I’m being perfectly honest, one of the things that’s kept me back from sharing it is the fact that cookies aren’t necessarily the MOST health conscious food. But sometimes life can be about the small indulgences. And really, what brings you back to your childhood quicker than the smell of freshly made homemade chocolate chip cookies?
This chocolate chip recipe is a great alternative to traditional recipes, for those looking to substitute dairy and eggs and for vegan options. And trust me, this is the best tasting cookie I’ve ever had in my life, despite the substitutes – you can’t even tell it’s not made with butter or eggs. I’m not just saying that!
The decadent, classic treat – but elevated.
Every time we finish a batch of these, my heartmate begs me to make more. He’s a tough critic when it comes to desserts, but I can’t even tell you how many times he’s said these chocolate chip cookies are the best cookies he’s had in his whole life.
And if I’m being perfectly honest here, too… I agree.
Soft and chewy, these vegan chocolate chip cookies will melt in your mouth.
The only thing I forgot to add was a pinch of sea salt after I pulled them out of the oven. Now I’m pinching myself, instead! I always get so excited that they’re done and want to eat them right away. Next time I can’t forget the salt!
I’m using these Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls from Zwilling J.A. Henckels which are excellent for baking! I’d previously been using these awful white plastic bowls that were older than I am! Anytime I would bake with cocoa powder or oil, it would be so tough to clean afterwards, but not anymore. Stainless steel mixing bowls for the win!
Make these simply perfect, vegan chocolate chip cookies at home!
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I’ve made many vegan chocolate chip cookies before, but I really took my time developing this recipe to make them the best chocolate chip cookies you’d taste!
- 8 tbsp Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 chia egg ((1 tbsp chia + 3 tbsp water. combine in a small bowl, stir, let sit for 2 minutes, stir again until congeals))
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add your vegan butter and use a fork to fluff it well. This is an important step, the fluffier your butter, the softer and chewier your cookie!
- Next add your brown sugar + coconut sugar to your vegan butter, and mix well using your fork.
- In a small side dish, prepare your chia egg by combining 1 tbsp chia seeds with 3 tbsp water. Mix gently, wait a minute or two, mix again. Once it has formed a gel-like texture, you can add it into the rest of your ingredients.
- Add your vanilla extract.
- Sift together all your dry ingredients and add to wet, mixing thoroughly to form your cookie dough.
- Lastly, using a spatula, fold in your chocolate chips and mix.
- I like to use my hands to pull from the batter, forming small ball shaped cookies without pressing them down (they will naturally soften up a decrease in height in the oven).
- Make sure the oven is done preheating, and bake for no more than 10 minutes. The cookies will continue to cook even after you pull them out.
Let cool, and enjoy!
Batter should form approx. 11-12 medium sized cookies.
Nick Joly | Inspired by Nick
be good to your body
Thank you to Zwilling for sponsoring this post.