With the days of summer now behind us, I wanted to pull out a recipe from my arsenal of Loblaws & PC recipes that would still be great for fall entertaining. What I love about this salmon tostadas recipe is that it can be prepared in a variety of ways, from the bbq, to the oven or even on your stovetop.
You can still enjoy those light summer flavours, even as we transition into the cooler months. If you’re going to be hosting a dinner party or soiree with friends, you can place the ingredients on a buffet table and have your guests make their own! A DIY tostada station for you and your fiends!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Per 2 piece serving: 540 calories, fat 40 g, sodium 540 mg, carbohydrate 29 g, fibre 4 g, protein 21 g
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) PC® Sriracha Mayo Sandwich Spread
- 2-½ Tbsp (37 mL) PC® Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger root
- 1/2 Tsp (2 mL) each freshly ground black pepper and granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (340 g) packaged coleslaw mix (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 4 skinless salmon fillet portions, each 4 oz/125 g
- 2 Tsp (10 mL) PC® 100% Pure First-Pressed Canola Oil
- 1/2 Tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Tsp (25 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 ripe avocados
- 12 tostada tortilla rounds (about 15 g each)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) PC® Sriracha Mayo Sandwich Spread
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Whisk together 3 Tbsp (45 mL) spread, vinegar, ginger, pepper and sugar in large bowl; add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Brush salmon with oil on both sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll salmon in sesame seeds. Place on grill; cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until it flakes easily with a fork. Transfer to plate.
- Slice avocados thinly and divide among tostadas. Top each with a scant 1/4 cup (50 mL) salad mixture; flake salmon over top. Top with 1/3 cup (75 mL) spread and sprinkle with green onions.
TIP: You can also cook the salmon stovetop in a grill pan – great for inclement weather and year-round grilling!
Nick Joly | Inspired by Nick