This is no ordinary plant-based p i z z a !
Not long ago, I was traveling British Columbia and I was inspired by so many vegan restaurants I visited. I was particularly surprised at how Vancouver perfected the vegan pizza!
While mine and my heartmate’s travels in BC were coming to end, so was August. This meant that autumn’s cooler temperatures were right around the corner! Something I’ve always looked forward to.
Fast forward to today; creative vegan pizza meets fall harvest flavours!
Despite using a product that has traditionally been used for one purpose: pie filling, I saw it as a natural fit for this pizza recipe!
I used E.D.SMITH’s Pure Pumpkin filling as the base (or the sauce) for this sweet and savoury plant based pizza recipe.
And great timing, too, as this year marks E.D.SMITH’s 135th birthday!
It also seemed natural to me to make pizza, as my cravings for warm comfort food increase at a direct and opposite correlation to the dip in temperatures. Come January’s snowstorms, I’ll be eating hearty stews and baked breads lol!
This sweet and savoury pumpkin pizza recipe is super easy to make. Follow along with the step-by-step photos below!
First is the dough.
While it was important for me to make my own, mostly because it’s difficult to buy vegan at the grocery store, feel free to improvise with a regular store-bought dough, or a classic/favourite recipe you already have at home.
Vegan Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 3.5 cups flour
- 2.5 tsp fast rising yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In large bowl, mix in your flour, yeast, and salt. Pour in your warm water and add your olive oil before kneading for about 5 minutes or so. You’ll know when to stop when all your ingredients are well-combined and form a ball.
- Let your dough mix sit in its bowl, covered, for approx. 10 minutes in a dry, warm place.
Now that we’ve got the dough, the rest is easy as pie 🙂
Vegan Pizza Ingredients & Instructions:
- 1 can of E.D.SMITH Pure Pumpkin pie filling
- 2 cups of fresh arugula
- 3 ripe peaches, sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 4 tbsp E.D.SMITH Triple Fruit Jam for dipping. t r u s t !
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grab a rolling pin (or bottle of wine) and roll out your dough on a flat, lightly floured surface.
- Using a spoon or spatula, even spread a generous amount of E.D.SMITH Pure Pumpkin pie filling, straight to the edges of the dough crusts.
- Sprinkle your cinnamon evenly across your pizzas and add a 1 cup of fresh arugula to top.
- Lightly flour a cookie sheet and fit pizzas to pan. Cook in oven for approx. 10 minutes, before the crust becomes medium brown in colour.
- Remove pizzas from oven and let cool slightly.
- Add your next cup of fresh arugula, top with sliced peach wedges, and finish off with with your cashews.
- For your dressing, in a small bowl, mix together your olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Drizzle over your peaches slices and arugula, and enjoy!
I personally love the mix of cooked and fresh ingredients, but by all means, if you like your pizzas hot, feel free to add them back into the oven for an additional 5-6 minutes, at 375 degrees F.