The health benefits of wheatgrass is a topic I’ve been wanting to share with you for a while now.
At first, I wanted to integrate it into a recipe like wheatgrass waffles, but contemplated just how appetizing that might sound to you, let alone how appetizing it sounded to me!
I personally love the taste of bitter greens and earthy flavours. Green smoothies and juices are almost always the options I opt for both at home and when I travel. I don’t think I’ve met a green drink I didn’t like in the history of, well, ever!
But when it came down to the reason I wanted to share my love for wheatgrass, though, it was all about the health benefits. So why complicate things, right?
I remember the first time I had a shot of the stuff. I was travelling in Chicago and was unfortunate enough to have caught a cold, so I popped into Whole Foods and bee-lined to their juice bar. I had them make a freshly “squeezed” wheatgrass shot, and guess what? I felt few to no cold symptoms at all anymore the very next day!
The taste of wheatgrass juice alone can be quite intense though. So I’ve made a banana, kale + wheatgrass smoothie recipe for you below, so you can start easing it into your diet while still enjoying it!
I use Flora’s Wheatgrass Powder, which is 100% certified organic—I absolutely love this brand.
Dried and powdered wheatgrass retains all of the nutrients and health benefits as fresh wheatgrass, just in a powdered form.
What are the health benefits of wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice?
- First, (my favourite of the health benefits) wheatgrass contains a really wide spectrum of minerals & nutrients. It’s rich in vitamins and protein and contains over 15 amino acids.
- Wheatgrass has a high concentration of chlorophyll (up to 70 percent). As such, it has similar effects to taking a natural blood builder supplement.
- Significantly reduces the aging process. Wheatgrass contains Superoxide dismutase which is an antioxidant found in cells. Antioxidants help combat free radicals in the body, i.e. the harmful molecules that can contribute to aging and cell tissue damage.
- Wheatgrass and chlorophyll help neutralize toxins in the body.
- It helps prevent the development and buildup of “bad bacteria” in the body.
- Wheatgrass juice has been seen to support healthy skin, even reducing acne and the visibility of scar tissue.
- More on aging: wheatgrass juice has been found to delay the process of hair turning grey with old age.
- Wheatgrass can help detoxify the body from heavy metals.
- It can support healthy blood pressure.
- And lastly, wheatgrass supports healthy digestion.
Banana, Kale + Wheatgrass Smoothie Recipe
This green, vegan, kale and banana smoothie recipe contains all the health benefits of wheatgrass and I have it whenever I want to start my mornings off green or recover from an intense workout.
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups leafy kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened orange juice or mango juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 handful raw organic cashews
- 3 tsp organic Flora Wheatgrass Powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chia seeds
Blend all ingredients in your home blender, blend until smooth, and enjoy!
Have you tried wheatgrass powder before? What superfoods do you like incorporating into your meals?
Nick Joly | Inspired by Nick
Thank you to Flora for sponsoring this post.